14 February 2010

Bringing the World to the Classroom

Earlier this month, I wrote about an upcoming event in my geography classroom. My students were going to have a guest speaker talk with them about the mountains of Central Asia. Having a guest speaker isn't all that unusual but, in my school, having one over the internet is something different.

I asked Dr. Stephen Cunha, a professor of geography at Humboldt State University and the director of the California Geographic Alliance (full disclosure: I have been a teacher consultant with the Alliance since 1994) if he could help us out. Though Dr. Cunha has experience with video-conferencing, he had not used Elluminate before, but he was game to try!

For our event we used the vRoom provided by LearnCentral. We also had a backchannel going in the classroom so students could make observations and ask questions. For our backchannel we used Edmodo.

Before we even got to working with Dr. Cunha, we practiced using a backchannel during lecture and during a video. Some students reported that they felt more engaged with the topic because they could focus their energy on typing. I noticed that the more we practiced, the more they interacted with each other in the backchannel. One of the biggest challenges, of course, is to make sure that comments are relevant to the topic at hand.

On the day of the guest lecture we went over the Elluminate interface and had Edmodo set up and running. Student moderators had been selected and were watching comments and questions. The lecture was about 20 minutes, then we had time for questions and answers. Our moderator asked questions on behalf of the class.We also had two visitors to class: one of our assistant principals and our district assistive technology guru.

Here are some general observations and thoughts on the process:
  • I was really nervous because I wanted everything to go well. Overall, it did but we still have some sound issues to work out (made sure it's loud enough, no echo, etc). 
  • The students aren't totally comfortable putting out their own thoughts and questions. There were a few instances such as the Edmodo screenshot here, but not many. Students are NOT used to getting information from each other or contributing to their own learning. I know that's a broad statement, but they are constantly asking if they have the "right" answer when they post something.
  • Giving students the opportunity to hear other voices in their education is extremely important. Dr. Cunha talked about Central Asia in a way that I never could. He's the expert, not me. Why shouldn't we have more experts in our high school classes? 
  • I really need to get more administrators and teachers to see the possibilities for learning. The assistant principal asked one student if she was on Facebook. The student explained that she was on Edmodo and it's educational. 
  • Even with the glitches, I am looking forward to doing this again. It was not difficult to set up or execute. Next time, I hope my students can suggest someone who could provide insight into their unit of study.
top screenshot courtesy of Dr. Stephen Cunha

5 comments:

  1. This is great, as I have been thinking of doing a live video conferene or interview with either: one of our representatives in Washington D.C.(I have a contact in one of the offices) or I heard that the Constitution Center in Philadelphia has done some live video conferences. I will get in touch with you latter about what other equiptment I need

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Natalie, I just got back from Sacramento, where the last presentation I attended was on interactive video conferencing. Richard Mellott, has had a few years experience on the subject and is someone you need to talk to. I jotted down a few notes and web links that follow. I hope that they are not too long, but best of all I have found the knowledge I was looking for and hope that your combined experiences will lead to some of the trips and interviews I have been wanting to make. I just found out that this message is too long so I will break it up into 2 more parts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Part 2: The last presentation I attended today was truly inspiring!
    Integrating Videoconferencing into the Classroom and Curriculum
    Richard Mellott, Roosevelt Middle School
    Learn how to use videoconferencing to deliver valuable insights from guest speakers of all varieties and subjects to your classroom. From math to English-language arts, social studies and the sciences, learn how to access no-cost to low-cost applications that will help all students, including those with disabilities, engage in learning and explore their career interests.

    Richard was well organized and had four people with whom to connect with during his 60 minutes. He actually did the video conferencing in the last 30 minutes. The most important fact is something that I learned with my TCI History Alive experiential exercises, have everything laid out and linked and do not sweat the small stuff, if a few things go wrong or the timing is wrong, keep moving and get the major points out to the audience a feat, which he accomplished very ably. He had all sorts of links and websites already up on his personal school website, so we did not have to take any notes, just keep his business card:
    http://mrmellott1003.weebly.com/
    On the videoconferencing page, he had information about most of the contacts we were going to talk to:
    http://mrmellott1003.weebly.com/videoconferencing.html
    Using both a Mac laptop and an HP laptop tablet, both of which had web cameras, he was able to connect with his people using a variety of free sources: including Skype, IChat, and an interactive platform developed by a language company in Colombia, South America

    ReplyDelete
  4. Part 3, the following people were contacted at the conference:
     A sample with Troy Tenhet of Global Learning Experience, using Skype, on either Mac or PC
     A sample videoconference with Glen Cornish of Painted Light Education Corporation using iChat on a Mac
     An IVC with Dr. Howie DiBlasi, from ISTE’s Special Interest Group on Interactive Videoconferencing, using Skype (on Mac or PC)
     Another sample videoconference with Matt from Interlingua in Columbia, using a classroom interface developed by their Spanish Language Instruction company, on either Mac or PC
    Within seconds of starting the journey, we had our first guest Troy Tenhet, up and we could see and hear him. The only drawback was that it is best to be wired and not wireless (bandwidth is key)! We all agreed it was better to demonstrate with inferior quality than have no presentation at all. As I mentioned before, the most important tenant of doing something new and innovative is that you have to expect problems and hope for perfection. If you do not try to do something new, you will never do it at all.
    There were only 7 people there, which was disappointing, when some sessions were overflowing, but I am sure that as this medium of teaching starts to catch on there will be more and more teachers who will buy in to this medium. Throughout the day, I kept hearing people say, “The kids are more tech savvy than most teachers” and we have to catch up! This presentation was all about using present day technology to engage and challenge our students. Glen Cornish founder of Painted Light Education Corporation said it best when he said something to the effect that “I was looking into what I could do to get students more involved in my program” and came up with these basic ideas:
    • We specialize in digital media enrichment for the classroom.
    • Our services have been utilized to help thousands of students along with their teachers
    • Many of our instructors and staff are award winning and nationally known
    All I can say to Richard is thank you so much for making the time to present to us today and with this message, I hope that I can help get the word out on Interactive Video Conferencing as a tool of the 21st century. He said that he is willing to share all knowledge with any teacher willing to listen. I am certainly one who will be getting in contact with him soon, as I have been searching for a way to set up video conferencing to bring other sources of information to my students and to be able to take them on virtual field trips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ted:
    Thanks for the overview of the session at CLMS. These are important tools for our students (and teachers) to be using in the classroom. You've mentioned some great resources. I hope we can get more teachers on board with using video-conferencing and other resources that open up the world to our students.

    ReplyDelete