30 June 2010

Teachers, please move into the 21st century!

I've noticed that many teachers are reluctant to move online. They don't want to blog or get on Facebook or Twitter (or other social networking sites). The post "5 Ways to Learn..." at JEA Digital Media has some great suggestions for getting online and learning about the sites that our students use. While this post was written with journalism teachers in mind, it applies to all of us. Do what you can, but get involved online. It opens whole new worlds!


photo from http://www.flickr.com/photos/61963330@N00/617650945/

3 comments:

  1. I have found in our district that social networking with students is frowned upon. In fact our district just cam out with policies banning teachers from corresponding with students on many of the social networking sites. This limits the ability of their use in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Social networking can also be used for teacher professional development. I've found Twitter and Facebook to be very useful in connecting with teachers from around the world who have great ideas that I can implement in my classroom.

    Personally, I have mixed feelings about social networking with students. My students use social networking sites more frequently than email, so it would make sense to meet students where they are. I don't like the general social networking "free for all" that seems to dominate the field. I'm not sure what to do about it, other than educate students on responsible digital citizenship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use Twitter for daily warm-up questions and the students are excited to get in and get started. I then project our live Twitter feed for the first 5 mins of class. I also have used Twitter for question/comment forum while watching films in class.

    ReplyDelete