03 January 2010

Schools adjust how writing is taught in text age | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

I've been wondering what is happening with handwriting instruction. My own experience was traumatic as a lefty in a righty world. My hand ached every day because of the unnatural position it was forced to assume in order to replicate the perfectly formed letters of the right-handed instructor. By fourth grade my teacher was being quite forceful in my hand position. I rebelled. When I concentrate, I have adequate handwriting, but would much rather type or print.

Students need to be able to write by hand, but they should not be forced into cursive (this article suggests that printing or modified cursive is fine).

Posted from Diigo. The rest of my favorite links are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment